Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A New Meaning for Rodewarrior

   Yesterday was the first day of a new era. The former Barcelona Hills School started doing business as a full-time public charter school. It is now called Oxford Preparatory Academy. The students now come from all over the Capistrano school district. They are picked in a lottery. None of the students are from this neighborhood. or at least very few of them live here. That means all of the students are dropped off by parents or a carpool. It makes our street a nightmare most of the day or at the very least 3 times a day; 7:50 am, 11:30 am and 2:45 pm until about 3:30. This new condition will change my life. I have started parking backwards in my own driveway so that when I have to drive out in the middle of the day I will not have to back onto that street. There are cars in front of our house most of the day for one reason or the other.

   There is also a fire hydrant across the street from our house. The parents think nothing of parking in front of it. I will be calling the city whenever I see a car parked in front of that fire hydrant. It is for the safety of my neighborhood.

   Years ago when Marjorie and Curtis were at Capo Valley High, I made many trips to the high school for different things. I needed a name for an email. roadwarrior was already taken. I changed it a little to rodewarrior and it worked. In this new situation, I feel like a rodewarrior, working to keep my street clear. I know it is a homonym, but it sounds good to me.

2 comments:

sam c.hart jr said...

I was reminded by a friend of the perfect solution to this problem, "pave paradise and put up a parking lot."

Another friend said she didn't know that the thing she parked in front of was a fire hydrant until she got a ticket for parking in front of it. Maybe they should be red with the curb painted red instead of yellow.

Marjorie Webb said...

Yes this is true. I hadn't thought of it this way. Good luck! And may the force be with you! :)